This blog is a collections of letters my children and I are writting to my husband about his most recent deployment. Please note that dates are being changed to follow OPSEC rules and keep my hero safe. Please feel free to write a note to him in the comments. When he has internet he will check in, when he does not I will print them out and send them to him.

Thursday, August 5, 2010




I guess it is really not right to write to my hero since he is right here next to me. So I thought I would tell you about our day yesturday. I did not tell the kids that Rob was coming home. I honestly was not expecting him until today. He called me yesturday at 6am and said he was in Germany and should be home sometime around 4pm. So we went to counseling and then met friends for lunch. Then we went to Lowe's to pick up something to hold Rob's welcome home sign. I even stopped by the butcher shop and picked up a beautiful steak.


We were not home a hour before it was time to go. I wrote the FRG leader and asked if she had heard when my husband would be in. She said my huband was no longer in this unit and that she had given my name to the person whose unit we were with. She was able to give me a number to call about times. So I called and they said there was a flight at 5:45 and one at midnight. I decided Rob would probably be on the 5:45 flight.

We arrived around 5:30. The kids all brought there welcome home signs. They thought they were there as a practice run. I told them this was a way for them to support soldiers who did not have anyone there.
We waited forever for the soldiers to get off the plane. They were waiting on customs. The whole time Rob is texting me to tell me he is there. When they released the soldiers I told my kids we would leave in just a minute but that I wanted to get a picture of them first. So they let me take one picture, then I saw Rob walking up so I asked them to let me take another one. AS I was taking the picture he said BOO. I do not think they knew how to respond. We all snuggled with Rob for 10 minutes before he got on the white bus to go get his stuff and turn in his weapon. There was only one problem. He flew in with a different unit and no one thought to show up for him. Which meant no one was there to greet him, no one to take his weapon. After several phone calls he was squared away and told he could go. By the way he is still in the same unit. Either I misunderstood her or she was wrong. He was starving and it was 8:30. So we stopped at McDonalds and had dinner. Can you imagine your first meal being a cheeseburger. Before he could come in the house the cat escaped and he was chasing her around the yard. He took a minute to say hi to the dog who was going nuts and did not know what to do when he saw him. Then we put the kids to bed with instructions that if they woke up before us to not wake us. Which is comical because everyone knows I wake up early no matter what.

We have had a wonderful day. He had to go to work briefly but they are giving him tomorow off. Rob has fixed the riding lawnmower, push mower, updated my laptop and the main home computer. Mowed the back yard and put pest stuff down. The kids have not left him alone all day. I mean he does not get a minutes peace. This afternoon he was changing in our room and Hope was looking under the door. I could hear her saying OOH daddy took his pants off, OOH daddy took off his underwear. That was all she could see.
I am so glad he is home. I may or may not be around much this weekend. I plan on spending every minute I can with the man in my dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment